Ministry Description for Parish Administrative Officer at Trinity-by-the-Cove
Search underway (January 20, 2020)
Trinity-by-the-Cove is currently seeking a Parish Administrative Officer to build and manage the operational systems, structure and team that maximizes the operating effectiveness of the church. This full-time position will give direct oversight to facilities, communications, IT, the church’s database, building usage, office staff, office areas, office related vendors, staff recruiting and onboarding, select financial areas and the systems and policies related to these areas. This position reports directly to the Rector.
Supervision & Accountability
Works largely independently under the direct supervision of the Rector.
- Interpersonal Skills: Relates well to all kinds of people by listening, learning, negotiating and educating. Builds effective relationships with teams and senior leaders. Serves with positive energy and joyfulness.
- Management Skills: Manages people and projects well. Follows up on tasks and projects to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Administrative and Organized: A highly administrative self-starter with the ability to prioritize requests, multi-task, manage multiple staff and projects, and direct departmental work flow.
- A Systems Thinker: Able to assess, problem solve, improve and create operational systems.
- Software and Database Experience: Experience using office software including Microsoft’s Office Suite, Microsoft Publisher (all church bulletins and sign ups), Microsoft Outlook (church calendar and email), Word (mail-merges, correspondence, minutes and annual reports) and Excel (database management, printing financials for Trinitarian, and lists, like Prayers of People); Website editing through our vendor (Exploritech), Facebook, Instagram, Constant Contact, Microsoft Paint (music editing for bulletins), Database (Realm Church Software)
- Project Management: Can manage projects and deadlines and assist in the planning and management of church-wide initiatives.
- Communication Skills: Possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Critical Thinking: Able to analyze complex problems and recommend appropriate solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Joyfully and patiently provides a welcoming atmosphere to all who enter or contact the parish offices.
- Works closely with the Rector to ensure the full operations of the church are managed efficiently and introduces improvements.
- Facilities hiring and supervision of office and maintenance staff, maintaining employee handbook, employee policies and procedures and benefits together with personnel files.
- Gives direct oversight to parish program calendar, communications, facilities, IT, business and stewardship, and the office staff.
- Champions and manages the church’s database and church’s computer network.
- Oversees and establishes policies for building use.
- Manages the church’s property and liability insurance policies and helps to assess and mitigate operational risks.
- Directs church office-related vendors, including IT support, copiers, phone system, and commercial insurance.
- Manages the office and office areas of the church.
- Reviews and troubleshoots church systems to ensure effective systems and processes related to office systems, infrastructure, operations, and building usage.
- Provides training to staff on office equipment and processes.
- Assists in staff evaluations, rewards and recruiting as needed. Helps onboard new staff once hired. Likewise, cultivates and empowers volunteer support for church office and ministries.
- Oversees staff related projects and special events as needed, and collects feedback for major recurring church events for future improvement.
- Receives articles from parish clergy and volunteer leaders for inclusion in parish publications and helps write and publish the monthly newsletter.
- High functioning, self-differentiated, joyful, and with a non-anxious managerial style.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 4 years’ experience in a similar role within a church or non-profit organization.
- Highly administrative: Prioritize requests, organize, schedule, and coordinate a variety of activities and projects.
- Knowledge of IT systems, facilities administration, and experience with database systems.
- Experience in the supervision of employees.
- Excellent collaborator, team builder and communicator.
- Mastery of Microsoft business software as well as Facebook, Instagram, Constant Contact.
Located in the heart of Naples southern-most gulf shores, Trinity-by-the-Cove is a vibrant Episcopal church made up of people on a transforming journey shaped by God through worship, learning, friendship and service to others. Our church community is committed to offering the finest in traditional Episcopal worship and formation, and outreach to those in need. You can read more about us by visiting the website: www.trinitybythecove.com Benefits include a competitive base salary commensurate with experience, excellent health benefits and participation in the pension fund of the Episcopal Church.
If you are interested in seeking an opportunity to join a well-established church in a vibrant and growing community, then please submit your resume and cover letter to: The Rev. Edward Gleason, Rector, email@example.com